Chris

My Friends

> 30 days ago
> 30 days ago
> 30 days ago

Ordinary As They Come > Oombutu's Comments

Oombutu's Comments

Site is down, has been for a long time.
Comment on New Site - Apr 6, 2016 8:21 AM ()
OK, Captain Hippy. I keep my mouth shut about a whole lotta the stuff you say . The gun laws, the oil companies, the government, health care, yadda yadda yadda. But come on now. Equal? We are NOT all equal. A common mistake is the idea that equal RIGHTS are the same thing as being EQUAL. Those are two totally different concepts that sit in different stadiums in different states on different planets. I may have the same rights as Jerry Jim Bobarino sitting across the aisle from me at work, but he sure as Hell isn't my equal. If I am smarter than someone, become more successful, and want to enjoy life more, then I certainly can without feeling guilty for the guy that can't. Capitalization is NOT a human creation. It's a NATURAL creation that started with natural selection. That's in that same Cosmos episode where they talk about the 'we're all made up of star stuff,' rule. The stronger, smarter, faster animals and hunters survived longer and lived better than the weaker, dumber and slower ones. We may have evolved past the point of purely physical prowess being a scientific notation of how successful we are, but the people that are smarter sure have a better chance to make something of themselves than the people that are dumber. And they should be allowed to. Without guilt. They should be allowed to CAPITALIZE on the fact that they have that intelligence. That they know how to get a good job, make money, buy a bigger house, and drive a nicer car.

This obsession we have lately with equality is one helluva excuse for the unsuccessful to be able to penalize or look down on the successful because they are TOO GOOD AT SOMETHING. Give me a freaking break. Why should I take my foot off the gas when I'm winning the race? And make no mistake, this life is a GD race. Not to see who gets the most stuff, but a race to retirement. A race to the magic number, whatever it might be for whoever you are. I know what it is for me. The number that pays for the kids college, and sets up me and my wife for our expected life span on a yearly salary that resembles what I make right now.

Capitalizing on our strengths, in particular the unique ones, is the RESPONSIBILITY of each and every person on this Earth. Instead, we have 99% of people just whining about their own weaknesses, complaining they don't have the strengths that others do.

I wasn't born with a great singing voice, so if I wanted to be a rock star I'd have to learn to play the guitar.

I don't run really fast, so if I wanted to be a sports hero it would need to be in a sport that moved pretty slow.

Capitalize on your strengths while trying to improve your weaknesses. Don't fall behind this 'we are all exactly the same and equal so no one should be above anyone else in any respect ever ever BS.'
Comment on The Universe and Capitalization - June 13, 2014 8:16 AM ()
You could cook a chicken breast at 170 degrees for about 6 hours and it might not be cooked all the way through. There is a better chance of it rotting first.
Comment on The Joy of Cooking - Oct 15, 2011 2:18 PM ()
Urban Legend: The word #### comes from colonial times, when someone would be punished for 'prostitution' It was an acronym for the words: 'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.' #### was written on the stocks that held these criminals because For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was too long to go on the stocks.
Truth: recorded in English since the 15th century with cognates in other Germanic languages. Origin words include Middle Dutch fokken = "to thrust, copulate with," Norwegian dialect fukka = "to copulate," Swedish dialect focka = "to strike, push, copulate" and fock = "penis."

Urban Legend: Certain types of manure used to be transported by ship. In dry form it weighs a lot less, but once water at sea hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again. One of the byproducts of fermentation is methane gas, and that gas would build up below deck. As you can imagine, unsuspecting deck hands would pay a high price for lighting a lantern. Several ships were destroyed before they realized what was happening. After that the bundles of manure were always stamped with the acronym S.H.I.T. which stands for Ship High In Transit. Shipped high enough off the lower decks to keep the water off it.
Truth: The word #### entered the modern english language via having been derived from the Old English nouns scite and the Middle Low German schite, both meaning 'dung," and the Old English noun scitte, meaning "diarrhea."

Almost none of the modern beliefs about the origins of curse words are true. And any that are attributed to some strange acronym are almost all false as there really wasn't any such things as acronyms until the 20th century. What makes curse words interesting in trying to figure out WHY they are curse words.

I curse like a sailor... when I'm drinking. F words (I hate the term F-bomb) fall from my face like water from a hose. My friends tend to bring it out of me. I don't swear on a date, around my kids, my boss, or my family. (I'll never be able to swear in front of my mom) So obviously there is a part of me that instictively knows when a word sounds crass or ugly.

Personally, I think the words circumcision and hemorrhoidd sound like pain and bleeding hatred. But what really makes a swear word?

And I've come to a conclusion. A swear word or curse word is a word that, no matter how you say it, it always sounds like you really really mean it. F--k s--t c--k c--t, you name it. If you can't get around the fact that it sounds bad no matter how you dress it up or contextualize it, it's a swear word.
Comment on Resolution Progress - Jan 5, 2009 12:38 PM ()
I LOVE mine to death. You'll have to get yourself MarioKart for the Wii. I'll add you to my friends list and we can play over the internet.
Comment on Most Fun Standing Up - Dec 27, 2008 8:19 AM ()
You want to see something REALLY hilarious?

You'll find it interesting and hilarious.
Comment on Finally!!!! Robin Williams! - Dec 23, 2008 6:26 PM ()
Hey, I have a CD to fix your office problem.
Comment on What Happens in Vegas ... (Part 2) - Dec 16, 2008 11:40 AM ()
I have never been more jacked up for an election than I was for this one, nor have I ever been more let down after one was over. Not just because Nobama won, but because of how hotly contested each and every strategic media circle was. And now it's over with.

I'll miss it.
Comment on Bah !! Humbug !! - Dec 4, 2008 3:51 PM ()
I agree, but only to a certain point. I believe what we are witnessing is the collapse of the current American CREDIT system. The free market system that capitalism is based on will survive. Just with a few changes in the landscape of domestic ownership.

And the auto industry... I've written a great deal about that. They were victims of an economic situation that they could not have predicted, yet should have had a contingency for. As a proponent of free market, I am opposed to them getting a huge loan from the government. But I am also smart enough to know that all 3 will fail and the space will be taken over by foreign auto makers a whole lot faster and more efficiently than any American manufacturer can fill that void.

By the time that would filter down, you are talking more than 3,000,000 people affected or out of work. That would ignite a new decade of depression. I can't blame all that on Bush and Cheney, they didn't set out to drive up the price at the pump. It was an unforeseeable effect of hundreds of different factors.

Like a lot of people who I think are being prudent, I have switched to living almost completely cash-only. I don't trust the banks at all anymore. And I don't think that I am in the minority on that.
Comment on The Collapse ... - Dec 4, 2008 1:41 PM ()
I hate the word... blog. A bastardization of Web log. When people would say it quickly, it just sounded like blog, and it stuck. To me, it sounds like a slimy piece of wood. A blog.

I use mine as a tool. Now, anyway. To try out new things and new ideas. Maybe because one of my aspirations is to write my way into retirement, I have a habit of seeing it as an obligation. With unwritten deadlines and a small reader base that probably hates my guts.

Fine and dandy.
Comment on Blog Without Obligation - Dec 4, 2008 9:43 AM ()

Page 1 of 4   Next >>   [38 comments found]